GREEN LIGHT NEW ORLEANS | BACKYARD GARDEN FOR GARDENING QUESTIONS, CALL US! 504-324-2429
How to transition your garden from Summer to Fall
1. Remove the old, dying plants from your summer garden. This will prevent disease and help with pest control. Remove all weeds, including their roots. Weeds compete for water and nutrients, and they could harm your new plants.
2. Before planting, loosen soil by turning it over with a shovel or trowel. This keeps soil from becoming too compacted, which can suffocate plant roots.
3. Add compost, either homemade or purchased, to increase nutrients in the soil. If you buy compost, Green Light recommends Black Kow, which can be purchased at Lowes or Home Depot, or locally made compost from EcoUrban ecourbanllc.com, 504.322.7025) or Nola Green Roots Compost Network (compostingnetwork.com, 504.206.9298).
4. Choose cold tolerant vegetables for your fall garden planting.
5. To plant seeds, water the soil before planting so you don’t wash the seeds away. Follow instructions on the seed packet to ensure proper planting depth and spacing.
6. If you buy seedlings, Green Light recommends purchasing seedlings at a farmer’s market or local nursery to ensure the freshest plants and the best varieties for our region.
7. Call Green Light with any questions! We’re here to help!
Green Light New Orleans 8203 Jeannette St, NOLA 70118 504-324-2429 www.greenlightneworleans.org